The Art of Defence!
I have created an 8 hour clinic to train your D-men to excel in their play.
Players aged 8 and older can benefit from this clinic.
Any player of average or normal skills can become a great D-man with some training, practice and confidence. Personally I think defence is the best position as typically you get more ice time and at the older levels you get to rock kids (with their heads down) and in the NHL everyone is looking for a good right hand shot defence-man. Apparently they are the unicorns of the NHL!
A well trained D-man can control the game with his vision and skills. My favorite D-man and the best player to have ever played the game is Bobby Orr. I think the best D-man are very offensive in their playing style and can join the attack creating all manners of advantages.
The Clinic focuses on the skills specific to a D-man. At this clinic we will cover the following skills or as many as we can get through; all are relevant to all levels of Minor Hockey.
The better your D-man the more games you will win. I could easily expand this to a 12 hour course. The skills listed below are in order of importance.
- Backwards skating.
- Gap, positioning and angles (maybe a smidge of checking).
- Hands and stick positon.
- 7 options of a D man with the puck.
- D to D pass and passing.
- Net battles & board battles.
- 2 on 1’s.
- Shot blocking.
There will be:
- 2, 2 hour off ice sessions inside of a Gym focused on these skills.
- For the off-ice session players will require:
- Gloves and sticks.
- Gym strip.
- 2, 2 hour on ice sessions putting into practise what we have learned in the Gym for a total of 8 hours of training.
Please let me know if your organization is interested in this clinic.